Friday, October 16, 2009

Totally Jealous!

OK, so my social life totally consists of stalking all my old friends from high school and shortly thereafter on Facebook. That's what happens when you live in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, last night I was busy browsing through status updates (I was totally sitting at the computer watching them come in, waiting and refreshing) when two of my friends, two minutes apart reported that they were getting ready to see David Sedaris in my hometown. Whaaaa??

I'm so stinking jealous.

Jealousy is bad. So I guess I'm envious. Or is that bad too?? Whatever. I feel depraved. Culturally robbed.

Anyway, I wish I would have known!! I would have thought about taking a trip to visit family at the same time. OK, I would have really wanted to, but not have done it for many reasons... (boarding a dog [which means taking her to the vet for her kennel cough booster a few days prior], screaming baby who is not much with the car rides thing, demanding toddlers, bored tweenager, 8 hour road trip, etc... and needless to say I would have needed to have an army and some reserves to watch my four kids and the wiener dog who travels with us while attending the event).

But I really would have talked my 3 siblings who still live there, and maybe even my mother, into attending on my behalf. Because to hear David Sedaris perform his essays...well, who wouldn't be moved to hysteria. And who wouldn't want to go right out and buy all of his audio books and become his biggest fan?

It was pure accident that I happened upon his audio books. I was in a bookstore looking for "Naked," and they only had it on audio book. So I did what I had to do to get my David Sedaris fix immediately. Which was even more about the instant gratification because I opened it up and started listening right away, otherwise I would have had to wait until I got home and wait until it was a good time to read... you get the point.

Up until then I had been in love with his books. And I didn't think they could be any funnier than they already were. But to hear him read his essays out loud? I had no idea anything could be so damn funny!

We spent the next month or so listening to it in the car anytime we went anywhere. Not because it took that long to get through it, but because it was fucking hilarious!! Our favorites were "The Drama Bug," and "True Detective." And I have a soft spot in my heart for "Ticks." I used to think I was OCD until I heard "Ticks." David Sedaris wins the OCD contest.

I think aside from "Naked," "Me Talk Pretty One Day" is my favorite. I love the Rooster!! And his foul mouth! I'm in love with the idea of a "fuck-it bucket!" And I laughed my ass off at the essay on the French classes - trying to explain the concept of Easter to foreigners!

The only thing I didn't like about "When You Are Engulfed in Flames," was no Rooster :(

Anyway, just suffering a little big city envy today. Seriously, it's nice to know I have at least a few Facebook friends with some good taste ;) so glad of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment